Wednesday 6 February 2013

Nutella Day Recipe: My Fluffy Nutella Buttercream Frosting



If by any chance you were living under a rock yesterday, it was World Nutella Day! So basically the best day in the entire year as you can feel absolutely guilt free about eating anything and everything Nutella because you know everyone else is doing it too....At least I think that's how it works? I sure thought so! Whether right or wrong, I set out yesterday with that theory in mind and baked away to my heart (and thighs) content incorporating Nutella in anyway possible. I should probably add that it was my last day to use the kitchen before I move house (in 5 days, ahhhhh) so I wanted to cook as much as I could - I do normally have a life other than cooking all day long...just so you know! 

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am a massive sweet tooth and that I love me a yummy buttercream. Since learning how to make a good one - I cant seem to stop myself making it. So, naturally I thought World Nutella Day would need to have a buttercream for me to add to every other sugar filled baking creation I make! This is my foolproof buttercream recipe and I say foolproof because I have followed so many recipes and made countless batches of curdled, gross looking and oily buttercreams that just didn't work out at all before I figured out how to actually get it right. So here it is and let me tell you, it's super simple! This recipe goes scrumptiously with my Moist Banana Cake!

Ingredients
200g butter (at room temperature, do not melt the butter in the microwave)
500g icing sugar
1tsp cocoa powder
3tbs Nutella (at room temp)
6tbs Cream (This works best if the cream is not cold to touch but just cooler than room temperature. I generally leave it out for an hour or two before cooking depending on the weather).

How to:
Place softened butter in electric mixer and beat it until it becomes soft and creamy.

Add in the Nutella and mix until completely blended with the butter.

Then on a low mix speed add the sifted cocoa powder and icing sugar whilst continuing to mix. The mixture should start to get quite clumpy looking but don't worry, this will all change when the cream is added.

Once the icing sugar has been well combined, add tablespoon at a time of cream, making sure to combine each tablespoon of cream before adding the next.

Mix it on medium for around a minute or so just to make sure it's all combined and fluffy – then you're all done.

(I always struggle with recipes and over/under mixing - so here is a handy little guide for you).

Electric mixer settings
Creaming butter - high (1-2 min)
Adding Nutella - medium (0.5 min)
Adding icing sugar & cocoa – low (2-5min)
Adding cream – medium (2-3 min)
End combining mix - medium (1 min)

Note: If you want a stiffer buttercream for piping onto cupcakes or cakes, I suggest adding an extra 250-500g of icing sugar during the mixing stage or if you don’t want to use the extra icing sugar, you can just add the cream tablespoon at a time until it reaches the consistency you’re after.

This mixture will generously ice one large cake, sides and all or 24 cupcakes. And there is always enough for an indulgent spoonful or two…. or three….

So if you were one of those awesome people - like me -  who wasn't living under a rock yesterday and ate Nutella like crazy (not like me at all..nope, never!), let me know what you made or ate - or made & ate! You can send me pics on instagram - just hashtag #eatthecatwalk and tag me @jessimalouf. You can send me a message on twitter or tumblr (@jessimalouf) or just comment below! If you have links to your Nutella recipes on your blog, post the link below & I'll check it out.

More recipes coming soon!

Till next time, stay sweet! 
Xx Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment